Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cell Phone Use

For the last five years or so, I've become dependent on my cell phone. I use my cell phone so much, I rarely use my land line at home and when it rings, I actually jump upon hearing the ring.

Yesterday, I went out to lunch with a co-worker and later to a meeting where I sat next to her. For the entire four hours we spent together, the phone was either attached to her ear or she was text messaging. As soon as we got into the car to have lunch, she was chatting away. And during the meeting, it was type type type for a few hours.

This morning, I stopped to get gas on the turnpike (my new favorite place to get gas!) and the guy who pumped my gas was cleaning my windshield. I was amazed by this and thought to tip him when he was finished. Then I realized he was on his cell phone! He finished cleaning the window, finished pumping the gas, and gave me my receipt - never once interupting his conversation on his cell phone.

I started this post by saying that I depend on my cell phone a lot. But it just seems strange to me that people don't even put their phones on silent ring anymore, not even for work! What did these people do before cell phones?

No comments: