Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Unemployed, Day 3

It's Wednesday, so that means it's "getting to know you" day. I've got a small list of favorites today. Feel free to answer for yourself in the comments section.

My Favorites...

1. Pet - Growing up, I didn't have a pet, except for some fish and a couple of birds. I don't really like animals, and my father really didn't like them, so we never had the common household dog or cat. Once, when I was about 7, someone gave my dad a dog - his name was Lobo, and my dad thought the dog would protect the house. He didn't. As a matter of fact, Lobo just got really sad. So after a week, he went back to his owners. We never talked about him again.

2. Car - My first car was a 1990 Toyota Corolla. It was this cute little thing - it had a hatchback and was royal blue. I took really good care of the car and remember driving to South Beach and Coconut Grove while skipping school. I had to get rid of it a few years later because it leaked oil. But that car reminds me of "emergence" as a teen.

3. Birthday - I usually have really good birthdays. The most memorable: When I turned 22, I travelled from Florida to Tennessee, which made the day 25 hours long (due to the time change). I thought that was pretty cool. For my 30th birthday, I went to Vegas with my girlfriends and saw Tom Jones for the first time. It was great because we had front row seats and this put us in a position where we could throw our panties at him. While my friends didn't throw, I did. And it was liberating! Okay, it wasn't liberating, but for someone who can be conservative, it was very liberating for me.

4. Teacher - Lisa Kasenow. She was my high school physics teacher for two years (yes, I was a geek and took Honors Physics, followed by AP Physics). Ms. Kasenow had a way of teaching her class that made you feel like you were in college. This, of course, was good, because it prepared us for college. She would give these random pop quizzes that counted for half of your grade. And they were just one question quizzes. And she spoke to you like you were a real person, not like she was babysitting us. The last I heard, Ms. Kasenow was still teaching science to high school kids.

5. Vacation - While I have travelled to Europe and done the whole backpacking bit, I have to say that my favorite vacation was when I went to Hawaii last summer. I admit, this was my honeymoon, but I think it would have been fanastic despite it being a honeymoon. There is something about the Hawaiian Islands that makes them different from the Caribbean Islands. The air smells delicious, the flowers are beautiful, the water is an ideal temperature. I really enjoyed Waikiki; we spent 4 days there after our island hopping excursion, and it was very relaxing. Even the hubby enjoyed Hawaii and he hates all things with sun, sand, and beach (which is why he's Mr. Gringo Extraordinaire).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is Ash Wednesday. For those Catholics who observe, it signifies the start of Lent. Now, I'm not an extremely religious person so my understanding and explanation might be a little off. I consider myself more spiritual and rarely go to Mass. But my spirituality is another post. Basically, today starts 40 days of sacrifices, which means that most people "give something up" until Easter. Across the board, Catholics observe the "no meat on Friday" rule until Good Friday. Now, this means no meat on Friday. Only on Fridays. A few weeks ago, crazy bad dresser co-worker (who claims to be a devout Catholic) tried to explain to everyone that for the entire 40 days you couldn't have meat. When cool co-worker #1 (who's Jewish) asked why, she replied, "Because it's Lent. And Lent is Lent." The woman is just nuts. Certifiable, in my opinion. Rhetorical question: how do you answer a question with a non-answer?

I won't be around for the next few days - we are going to Vegas for six days of "What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas" fun. When I get back, I'll be a year older. And I will most certainly update on our trip, hopefully with pictures!

No comments: