Friday, July 21, 2006

Acquisitions and Mergers

Five years ago, I moved out of my parents' house in Miami to New Jersey for a job in the big NYC. With me, I brought only a truck's worth of stuff - clothes, a radio, a computer, some pillows, blankets, and some photographs.

In Jersey, I bought a bed, a dresser and a night table. Later, I bought a desk and some other 'necessities' - pots, pans, some cups and dishes, etc. Friends and family were generous enough to supply me with a dinette set, some chairs, and a stand for a tv. My aunt even gave me a used washing machine.

Slowly, but surely, my pile of 'possessions' began to grow.

Then I made my very first adult purchases - I bought a sleeper sofa, a refrigerator, and a TV. Holy crap, Marie! I was a grown-up.

A few years ago, my parents decided they were moving to their condo in Aventura, Florida. That meant they were selling their home in suburban Miami. After nearly twenty years of living in that house, my poor mom was going crazy with all the things she had 'acquired.' She donated a lot of stuff to Goodwill, the Salvation Army and the Veterans, and sold the house furnished.

But, there was still stuff in there from Annie's youth. Yearbooks, scrapbooks, CD's, and books adourned my old bedroom. And so, my dear dad called me and requested the hubby (then-fiance) and I drive down with a truck to get all my damn stuff out of there.

Result - we drove back to Jersey with a truckload of Annie's memories...

Last year before I got married, the then-fiance and I purchased our first piece of real estate - a two bedroom, two bathroom condominium in Northern New Jersey, just minutes from NYC. I moved in first, with my full-sized bed, desk, sleeper sofa, TV, books, pots and pans, clothes, etc. A few months later the future hubby moved in. He brought with him: a queen-sized bed, a recliner chair, more pots and pans, another desk, more clothes than I could ever acquire, a library (I kid you not) of books, and various other items that I try not to look at (a framed Homer Simpson comes to mind as I type this, as well as a framed Highlander movie poster).

We purchased furniture - a real bedroom set, a real dining room set, another chair to match our couch, and some coffee tables. Our purchase was becoming our home. A full home, but *our* full home.

Then my bridesmaids threw me a bridal shower. Another truckload of wedding gifts - an assortment of china, linens, and appliances were included.

A year and half later, we are settled and comfortable in our home. We have worked hard to make it our own, to decorate it tastefully, to keep it clean. And, of course, we've filled it with a compilation of our most valuable and treasured items, both from our single days and now, our married days.

Sometime next week, we will close on our new home. Obviously, this means we will be moving. August 5th, to be exact. Packing began last weekend. Already, we've made various trips to Goodwill to drop of items we rarely use. Already, we've thrown out items that are broken and tacky.

It doesn't even feel like we've made a dent.

And I only have two weeks to finish packing and move.

Holy crap.

1 comment:

Freckle Face Girl said...

Congrats on the new home! I love the excitement of moving, but HATE packing. You never realize just how much you have until you have to pack it up. Good Luck!