Monday, September 13, 2010

A Meme - it's been forever!

I haven't done a meme of any type on this in the longest time.  I realize my posting has turned into an online photo album, and I apologize (I keep doing that, I know!), but I really am trying.

With that, I "stole" this meme from a few of the PWD's blogs that I read regularly.

A Diabetes Meme

What type of diabetes do you have: Type 1  
When were you diagnosed:  August 1993 - it's funny, most folks remember the exact day they were diagnosed.  I don't.  I just know it was the summer after I graduated from high school and a few weeks before I was supposed to report for college.  I rarely remember the anniversary, unless someone asks me when I was diagnosed and then I think, "Wow!  17 years already!"

What's your current blood sugar: According to my Dexcom, 101.  Not too bad, eh?

What kind of meter do you use:  One Touch Ultra/One Touch Mini - it varies, since I keep one in the house and another in my purse.

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar:  Now that I have a Dexcom, I check at least twice a day, to calibrate.  If I get a wacky number on the Dexcom, I'll check more often.  Prior to the CGMS, I would check 8-10 time a days.

What's a "high" number for you:  Anything over 200 mg/dl.

What's do you consider "low":  Anything under 60 mg/dl. 

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater:  Orange juice.  Regular juice drinkers have no clue how absolutely delicious orange juice is.  It's so sweet and thick and full of flavor.

Describe your dream endo:  Compassionate, understanding, communicative, and part of my HMO.

What's your biggest diabetes achievement:  This little kid.  Right here:


What's your biggest diabetes-related fear:  Blindness

Who's on your support team:  My husband, parents, MIL and close friends.

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime:  I used to think so, but no I'm not so sure.  I don't bank on it, although it would be nice.  I'm appreciative of the advances in the last 17 years, though.
What is a "cure" to you:  The true sense of the word.  A cure would mean no worrying after a meal, no worrying about having insulin in the fridge, no worrying about making sure I have enough infusion sets, resevoirs, sensors, glucose tablets, etc.

The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is:  "Type 1?  Is that the bad kind?"

What is the most common misconception about diabetes:  That Type 1 can be cured with "magic pills" or with natural remedies.  Also, that Type 1's can control their blood sugar by diet alone.  

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be:  "18 years is not retirement age.  What the hell happened to you?  Lazy ass."

No comments: