Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"I do not think it means what you think it means"

Patrick, in his nearly three years, has started chattering away.  He spends many days just saying things.  Whatever comes to mind, actually.  He tells me what he eats for breakfast or what show is coming up next. He talks about cooking and daddy at work.

Lately, he's picked up on saying "I don't want (insert word here)" or "I don't like (insert word here)."

While I absolutely hate that he does this, I realized today, he doesn't exactly know what it means.

Example #1:

"Patrick, here's your lunch."
"I don't want lunch."
"Do you want to eat your chicken?"
"Yes!"

Example #2:
"Are you sleepy, Patrick?"
"I don't want to go sleep!"
"Are you tired?"
"I don't want tired!"
"Do you want Poochie (his stuffed dog used for sleeping)?"
"Yes, Mama."

(Sigh).  I'm not sure how to correct his choice of phrase.  For now, I just keep repeating, "I love lunch!" or "I can't wait to take a nap!"

I hope it starts to work soon.

No comments: