Sunday, February 01, 2009

Inadequate

This afternoon, Patrick and I had lunch at my aunt's house.  For the most part, Patrick loves going there and is always extra charming.  But today, I don't know what ever got into him.  He was happy at first, then threw a tantrum when it was time for lunch.  He refused to eat on his own, even though he was sitting in his booster seat. Eventually, I had to hold him and spoon-feed him.  Then he got happy again.  And all of a sudden, another fit of rage.  And aside from being able to feed him, I wasn't able to comfort him in any other way.  And I felt completely useless as a mom.  This is the first time I have ever felt this way.

Now, before anyone starts commenting/calling/emailing, I know I am a good mother.  I know I provide for Patrick and that he loves me.  But today, I just didn't know what he needed or wanted.  I know many moms have days like this; it's nothing new.  But it's new for me.

Could it be the terribles two's arriving 8 months early?

No comments: