Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sometimes, it pays to get mean and yell a little

So… anyone following the blog these days knows that we’ve moved, and along with our move came the purchase of a new home.  A BRAND NEW home just for the three of us!  Exciting, right? 

Anyway… we have this nice backyard  now, something we never had before and are pretty excited to use it.  Our community is relatively new, practically brand new, so there aren’t a lot of fences (although our neighbors had one installed earlier this week – the first on our cul-de-sac) and there’s lot of space for walking around and exploring.

The one thing hindering a lot of our backyard time is the fact that our lawn never came in.  We were told that the area had been seeded and the seeds had been weighed down with pine straw and that we would have some kind of lawn for the spring/summer.  I later heard from some neighbors that the builder was supposed to provide some sprinklers and hoses in order to water the seeds.  Naturally, being a SAHM these days, I got on the phone with the builder and asked why I didn’t have any of those tools to ensure a pretty lawn for the summer.

The builder sent over the housing superintendent buy, who told me that he had taken the hoses from our house, as well as the sprinklers, and given them to my neighbor and never replaced them.  And that just put me on edge – I called the builder back and took it all out on the poor girl on the other end of the phone. 

This morning, they called that a truck was coming to reseed and as long as we kept the seeds moist, we should start to see some growth.  I think I shamed them when I said that more poor son couldn’t enjoy the backyard this summer.  Either way, they were here this morning and my backyard now looks like a big hayride gone wrong.  I’m not complaining, though; I’m actually excited that we didn’t have to fork over cash to reseed our lawn.

IMG_9420

Before – patches of grass coming up, but mostly clay underneath.

IMG_9569

IMG_9573

IMG_9574

Today – there’s seed under all that straw

IMG_9575

IMG_9567

I also started a small garden of herbs and veggies.  For now, they are all in pots.  I have a small pepper growing, which makes me happier than I could have imagined.

I should add that the front lawn has looked good from day we moved in; it’s one of the differences between sod and seeds.  Since our house was already built when we bought, we didn’t have the option of sodding the back, but I can see why people would do that.

037

We planted some flowers to make things “pop” a little.  Flowers make me smile.  :)

Next week – construction begins on an extension to our backyard patio.  Photos to come as the project begins.

No comments: