Friday, May 07, 2010

Book Review – Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes

 

AlkonI’ve never written a book review, and with my blog becoming somewhat of a haven to Patrick these days, I’m not sure who is visiting my blog these days (I’ve been very absent in viewing my analytics and such!).  However, I would be remiss in not mentioning a new book on the medical shelves:  Managing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes. 

(Please note I am writing freestyle – when I have time, I will revisit and rewrite!)

Cheryl Alkon of Managing the Sweetness Within has delivered a fantastic resource for all women (and those close to them!) with pre-existing diabetes who want to become pregnant, are pregnant, or are newly diagnosed and want to learn about pregnancy with diabetes.

When I was pregnant with Patrick I wish there had been a resource like this one to help me along the way.  This book is full of information – all told in a friendly, non-scary way.  Cheryl interviewed dozens of women and medical professionals.  She also added years of personal experience, coping with diabetes, pregnancy, and even infertility.

The book reads like a forum of women chatting.  The stories are informative, funny, and heart warming.  The facts are straightforward. 

I had the opportunity to be interviewed for this book many months ago and was naturally excited upon its release.  However, I didn’t realize the scope of the book; the hours Cheryl spent researching, interviewing, and writing.  This is a true testament of her commitment to her diabetes and family.  Congratulations Cheryl!  You have added another wonderful book to my collection.

Please go out and get your book – if you have diabetes and are thinking of starting a family, it’s a fantastic book to keep bedside.  You can get your copy here.

No comments: