Friday, July 27, 2007
I have been put on limited activity until FeeNo arrives. I will be home for my entire third trimester growing this baby and making sure that everything stays on target.
First, the serious stuff: I have been experiencing some migraines and the doctor feels they may be indicative of preeclampsia, which has no cure except the delivery of the baby. The doc feels that I would be better at home, resting up. I am not on complete bedrest (luckily!) so I can still go up and down the stairs, go for walks, swim, etc.
Second, the details of my last visit: the baby looks good - very good. FeeNo gained half a pound over the last two weeks and is now 1 pound 10 ounces. I am 26 weeks along (plus two days), with less than 14 to go. However, the doctor thinks the baby may come a few weeks early, due to the changes in my body and the way I am reacting to the pregnancy as I enter the last trimester. I have gained another 5 pounds, for a total of 13.
Third, the fun stuff: during this ultrasound, FeeNo must have sensed how serious everyone was, so he decided to cooperate and pose for a picture. I will upload it in the next few days, but basically the child was sucking on a thumb and chilling out. The baby continues to kick and punch me, and has developed what I think are hiccups from time to time. Mike and I continue to watch episodes of 24 (we are now on season 2), which results in many kicks to my belly. We continue to read in both English and Spanish. And lately, Mike has taken to imitating radio reporter John Sterling and making calls on the Yankees.
FeeNo's favorite call: El como dulce, sweet as candy! Bobby Abreu singles to the right!
I'm not sure if FeeNo's response is from the baseball itself or Mike's comical way of imitating Sterling.
Either way, it brings smiles to both our faces and just makes us want to meet FeeNo that much sooner.
How can it be that someone I don't even know yet has taken over my entire heart?
Thursday, July 26, 2007
Here is my post, from a year ago today.
I've not much more to say about it, except that my feelings are the same or possibly even stronger, since I am having a baby this year and wish that my entire family - especially those in Cuba - could partake in this miracle.
More news on FeeNo tomorrow.
Monday, July 23, 2007
I'm just getting around to doing it.
8 Random Facts/Habits About You
- I am not a big fan of cheese or cheese products. I won't eat a slice of cheese on a cracker and I don't like it added into my salads. I won't use cheese dip, not even nachos. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE pizza. With extra cheese.
- When I am home, I have a tendency to use the bathroom with the door open and have complete conversations with Mike. I fully expect him to do the same for me, but he doesn't agree.
- I am obsessive about paying bills. I have a whole system where I line up the bills in order of their due date and then pay them in that order. I keep a very balanced checkbook, right down to the penny. And if there's a discrepency between the bank statement and my ledger, I will not stop until I figure out what the problem is. Update: I *just* called my town's tax collector because the tax bill hasn't arrived yet and it's supposedly due next week. Ack! I need to pay the bill! But when I got someone on the phone, they told me the bills haven't been sent out yet and they will be due on August 21. See? There is something seriously wrong me with. Who wants to pay their tax bill?
- When I grocery shop, I make a pretty extensive list of what I need. I cross reference it with whatever is on sale that week and then I look for coupons to fray the costs. I have been known to save more than $20 on grocery shopping visits.
- Even though I am Cuban, I won't eat black beans and rice. That is, black beans on top of white rice. I don't like the soupy texture of the beans. But I will eat an entire plate full of black beans cooked in the rice - congris, if you will.
- I am scared of watching mystery shows especially Unsolved Mysteries. The voice of the host freaks me out and causes a long bout of insomnia.
- I dream in English and Spanish. Sometimes, I dream of my aunts in uncles in Cuba and they speak English. Other times I dream of my husband speaking Spanish.
- I speak to my parents nearly everyday. We don't even talk about any substantial, but I need the phone call just as much as my parents do.
I'm supposed to tag 8 people to do this, but I won't. Although, I am interested in reading what Martha has to say. If anyone else wants to do it, feel free to, and let me know in the comments section.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Peanut butter cookies from Target. They have their own brand of cookie - Double Peanut Butter made by Archer Farms, especially for me!
And FeeNo. Because FeeNo wants them. FeeNo craves them. FeeNo must be obeyed.
The only unwanted product is Reese's Peanut Butter cups. If anyone puts one of those darn things near me, I'll fling it at them.
They gross me out. Even when frozen.
More tomorrow, I promise. I've been tagged by FFG and I need to respond. I'm becoming very forgetful in my pregnant state.
Friday, July 13, 2007
I've been very fortunate to see him live various times, including front row in Las Vegas with my two awesome friends (including acb, who was carrying Little Owen in her belly but didn't know it yet) humoring me and joining me at the show. Yes, I screamed with delight when I saw him. Yes, I threw a pair of panties.
(No, I wasn't married yet, but engaged - very engaged. Luckily, Mike wasn't enraged. I think he was shocked that I would do such a thing, but hey, it was TOM JONES! I had to do it. Anyway, I digress...)
Mike and I went to see him in Atlantic City about two years ago. Unfortunately, when he peforms there, seats are not assigned and you get seated where ever the maitre'd puts you, depending on how much you grease his palm. Since we are poor folks, we sat way in the back.
And even thought Sir Tom is awesome, we vowed never to go back to see him in Atlantic City. Unless, of course, we got free tickets.
Yesterday, we got a postcard in the mail inviting us to stay at a casino on the boardwalk in Atlantic City. It's the casino we visit when we go down there, but we are not - in any way, shape, or form - whales. Seriously, we play penny slots and consider it a big victory when we are up $5.
But anyway... we received the free night for all of August and in the tiniest print you can ever imagine, it said: Come join us to see the Legendary Tom Jones. Two tickets complimentary.
I got on the phone immediately. Toll free number. On hold. On hold. Nearly two hours. And then - Mike went to plug in something where the cordless phone is plugged in and DISCONNECTED THE PHONE.
For a second, I wasn't sure what happened. Then it hit me. And when I told Mike we were disconnected, I thought his head was going to explode.
I got back on the phone. Busy. Busy. Busy.
And then Mike had the great idea of calling the hotel directly and telling them that we got disconnected. I thought it was a longshot, but it worked. He was put through almost immediately and we reserved our tickets.
FeeNo is going to get his first taste of Tom Jones in about three weeks. I can't wait until Tom sings Sexbomb. Hopefully, FeeNo will start doing the usual somersaults in my belly.
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
While a little on the small side (FeeNo measures about 22 and a half weeks, while I am 24 weeks along), we are told not to be concerned since the baby has always been on the small side, but is progressing at a good rate. Heartrate today was 146. Still in great shape.
In the three weeks since my last appointment, I haven't gained any weight. So I am still down 4 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. This time, the doctor told me not to worry (he didn't encourage any gain on my part), because I will start to put on more weight over the next few weeks.
I'm almost out of my second trimester and it still amazes me that I am actually growing a little person inside me - a little person that could possibly have Mike's knowledge of all things Star Trek, my ability to sing almost any Barry Manilow song, and the Cuban and Irish traits of chatter.
Mike and I have upgraded our Netflix membership so we can watch 24 constantly. If FeeNo likes it, we'll watch it. Let's just call it one of the first sacrifices we are making for the child. :)
Monday, July 09, 2007
So, a few weeks ago, I added every single season of 24 to the Netflix account. We are halfway through the first season and nevermind the fact that Mike and I are hooked, so is FeeNo.
Saturday night, we sat down to watch the next installment of episodes (four of them, to be exact). I was completely relaxed, watching intently and I felt it: thump thump thump. Right on my belly.
I called Mike over to feel FeeNo's movements. But when he paused the video, FeeNo stopped moving.
Mike went back to his seat, put the video back on and all of a sudden: thump thump thump.
I called him over again. Mike paused the video and FeeNo stopped again.
Then it hit me: the kid is motivated by Jack Bauer.
We tried it again. This time with the volume on.
And Mike got his first feel of FeeNo hanging out in my belly, clearly amazed by the complicated plot of 24.
I am having the coolest kid in the world!
Sunday, July 08, 2007
Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Here's Tom Jones singing "Kiss" at the Princess Diana concert this past weekend. Even though I missed the concert when it aired, I am grateful to folks who post on YouTube.
Unfortunately, Sir Tom didn't dance but his voice is still wonderful.
And I may be mistaken, but I think the guitarist from Aerosmith is playing in the background.